With Valentine’s Day in mind, I figured it was a good excuse to make some more fruit bars. Over Christmas I made my lemon bars so I planned to make it the same way. Instead I decided to try a different recipe but add ginger to it because I LOVE ginger. Lo and behold, someone else had a similar idea. Great minds…
Got the ingredients together. Sliced the strawberries, minced the ginger, and zested the lemon as well:)
Add the diced cold butter and egg, and using a pastry blender cut the butter into the mixture until you have a crumbly dough.
In another medium bowl, mix the ginger, lemon juice, vanilla extract, brown sugar, and cornstarch.
Butter a 9×13 pan completely then add two-thirds of the dough mixture into the baking dish and press down into an even layer.
Pour the strawberry filling evenly over the flattened layer of dough then cover evenly with the remaining one-third of dough.
Adapted from The Tart Tart
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Zest of lemon
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 Tbsp crystallized ginger, minced
- Juice of a lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and butter a 9x13 pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, 1 cup of sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in the lemon zest.
- Add the butter and egg, and using a pastry blender cut the butter into the mixture until you have a crumbly dough.
- Pour two-thirds of the dough into the baking dish and press down into an even layer.
- In another medium bowl, mix the ginger, lemon juice, vanilla extract, brown sugar, and cornstarch.
- Mix in the strawberries using a rubber spatula.
- Pour the filling evenly over the flattened dough.
- Sprinkle the remaining one-third of dough evenly over the filling.
- Bake for about 45 minutes until the crust is golden brown..
- Allow to cool completely before cutting, preferably in the fridge for at least three hours