So Christmas has passed but you still have left over candy canes. Well obviously you don’t want to be wasteful so clearly the thing to do is make some popcorn.
If you don’t understand how the two are connected then I don’t know how to help you…joking…sort of.
Break up the chocolate into smaller pieces. Using a double boiler, melt the chocolate bars
Along with left over holiday candy canes, I had these lovely winter snack bags (don’t judge me). Being in LA, this is as close as we come to the frozen, wet stuff from the sky. I think it’s called snow.
(Haha – I probably sound like one of the children in The King and I (1956 film) learning about snow for the first time. That is one of my ultimate favourite movies. I wish I could find a clip but copyrights and all – you should rent it ASAP)
- Popcorn kernels (2 cups)
- Coconut Oil
- In a large pot on medium-high heat, add oil and a few kernels.
- Wait for them to pop then quickly add the remaining kernels and cover with lid.
- Shake the pot every few seconds so all kernels are covered and heated.
- Let them all pop, pop, pop away. When the popping subsides, take the pot off the heat.
Chocolate and Candy Cane Popcorn
- Popcorn (see above)
- 2 4oz Coconut White Chocolate bars
- 2 4oz Dark Chocolate bars (70% cacao)
- Kosher salt
- 12 Candy canes
- In a food processor, crush the candy canes into a medium/fine powder
- Add two pinches of kosher salt to the candy cane powder and mix it up
- Pop the corn kernels
- Lay out the popped corn on a cookie tray and remove the unpopped kernels
- Break up the chocolate into smaller pieces
- Using a double boiler, melt 8oz chocolate bars ( I used white coconut for the first batch and dark chocolate for the second batch)
- In a bowl, pour the melted chocolate over the popped corn
- Using a spatula, mix the popped corn so it is covered with chocolate
- Sprinkle the candy cane powder over the mixture and then mix again.
- Set aside to cool
- Nom nom nom (aka “dig in”)
- Package as desired.
I didn’t eat it all – I gave it away to family and friends and they really enjoyed it. I will be making this again but maybe with different candy. This was super yummy